Thursday, 23 May 2013
President apologises to APNU leader for oversight ... » PRESIDENTIAL Adviser on Governance, Gail Teixeira,...
APNU reasons for pull-out of Money Laundering obli... » HOME Affairs Minister Clement Rohee believes that ...
As an additional boost to mobile fleet... Police g... » THE Guyana Police Force (GPF), yesterday, received...
High tide warning in effect - more sandbags aligne... » THE Ministry of Public Works has issued a warning ...
OPR to probe Shaka Chase torture allegations - Roh... » MINISTER of Home Affairs, Clement Rohee yesterday ...
Granger’s associate fingered in U.S. corruption ... » A FORMER member of the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) ...
AFC Councilor rebuffs party shenanigans …says Ra... » “THE budget cuts are unconscionable and unconsti...
Over 1, 500 laptops given out in Region 4 - as OL... » WITH a total of 28,000 laptops already in the hand...
BOSAI rents 3 diesel gensets to bolster Linden ele... » THE BOSAI Minerals Group (Guyana) Inc yesterday ac...
|Suspected arson destroys another property of executed businessman|
|Tuesday, 26 June 2012 21:40|
FIRE suspected to be the result of arson damaged another storage bond owned by executed businessman, Mohamed Shalahudeen Bacchus Baksh, early yesterday morning, in Sheriff Street, Georgetown.
It was the second such property similarly damaged since Baksh was gunned down execution-style on June 15.
Chief Fire Officer, Marlon Gentle said the Guyana Fire Service (GFS) received a telephone call at 03:25 hrs about the blaze at Lot 16 Sheriff Street.
He said three tenders responded at the wooden building heavily secured by grills, where the firefighters managed to gain entry and doused the flames inside.
Gentle said the western wall of structure was scorched and louvre windows and bags of fertiliser were also damaged.
The Fire Chief said the bond was used to store fertiliser, school supplies, janitorial equipment and mechanical tools, among other merchandise.
He said the conflagration was deliberately started at three different parts of the back of the place where entry was gained to the premises through an alleyway at the rear as a security guard was on duty in front.
The guard told the GFS he heard what sounded like a loud explosion and then saw the blaze.
On June 21, sections of another building owned by the same man was destroyed, leaving millions of dollars in losses.
The GFS said that, too, resulted from a deliberate act that set the flames in several sections of the building both inside and outside, although that edifice, at Lot 322 Rohinital Street, Prashad Nagar, is heavily grilled and secured, as well.
Baksh was shot dead while socialising with friends at a bar in Thomas Street, in the city, too.
The shooter entered the place about 22:00 hrs.
No clear motive has since been established for the killing but Baksh had previously survived a shooting attempt on his life in 2008, on Lamaha Street, Georgetown.
Baksh, 42, of Bel Air Gardens and Lot 9 Pouderoyen, proprietor of Pest Control Plus, was buried after being accorded Muslim rites at Versailles Cemetery following the viewing and Janaaza at Versailles Masjid Compound, also at West Bank Demerara.
More Top Stories
- APNU’s Backer rejects emergency debate on Money Laundering laws …President makes unprecedented appeal for MPs to ‘rise to the occasion’
- Opposition leaves Guyana open to being ‘shafted’ ….House refuses to remove discriminatory tax
- Diver drowns at Kurupung Bottom --body at Lyken’s Funeral Home
- City Council on standby to assist in case of spring tide overtopping – Alleyne
- AFC’s $50M lawsuit against PPP Executive Secretary thrown out
- President apologises to APNU leader for oversight - Teixeira
- APNU reasons for pull-out of Money Laundering obligations a smokescreen …had been looking for an excuse all along - Rohee
- As an additional boost to mobile fleet... Police get more vehicles worth $61M - compliments Ministry of Home Affairs
- High tide warning in effect - more sandbags aligned
- OPR to probe Shaka Chase torture allegations - Rohee
- Granger’s associate fingered in U.S. corruption probe
- AFC Councilor rebuffs party shenanigans …says Ramjattan bluffing on readiness for snap elections
- Over 1, 500 laptops given out in Region 4 - as OLPF Secretariat rolls out massive distribution drive
- BOSAI rents 3 diesel gensets to bolster Linden electricity supply
- ACCUSED COP KILLER REMANDED - prosecution has total of 17 witnesses, defence has lots of alibi evidence
- Rise up against opposition stand on money laundering law …PPP wants social forces to bring to bear pressure over hardline stand
- Two-mile-wide tornado kills at least 51 -- including 7 elementary school students
- Ruling PPP/C leads APNU & AFC in popular support -according to latest NACTA poll
- Lost Hope... The mystery of two sugar workers who disappeared eight years ago
- Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion -equipment to begin arriving next week