Monday, 17 June 2013
President Ramotar urges emulation of Enmore Martyr... » PRESIDENT Donald Ramotar yesterday called upon tho...
Woman perishes in Plaisance fire, two homes flatte... » THIRTY-SEVEN year old Susan Mclean of 73 Victoria ...
First Lady treats New Amsterdam prisoners to sumpt... » NINETY FOUR male inmates at the New Amsterdam Pris...
Guyana’s economy growing exceptionally well- Glo... » ACTING Minister of Tourism, Irfaan Ali has noted t...
COP shot during firearm issuance at Eve Leary - In... » A police rank is nursing serious injuries at the G...
Dr. Vindhya Vasini Persaud unanimously elected new... » Dr. VINDHYA Vasini Persaud was unanimously elected...
Relatives rule out robbery as… : Bandits target ... » AT just about 19:00 hrs last evening, three gunmen...
First Lady encourages absentee fathers to mend the... » THE following is a message sent all fathers, parti...
Gunmen attempt to take Albouystown man out, but fa... » TWENTY-two-year-old Christopher Gonsalves, also kn...
|PI for murder charge against captured fugitive postponed|
|Thursday, 21 June 2012 20:05|
ABDULSALAM Azimulullah, who evaded the arm of the law for several years, appeared at Albion Court, Corentyne, on Wednesday and Magistrate Fabio Azore postponed the start of the preliminary inquiry (PI) into the murder charge against him to July 24.
The accused had made an appearance at New Amsterdam Court, also in Berbice, on Monday, where the charge was read to him by Magistrate Adela Nagamootoo and the case was transferred to the Albion Court.
Azimulullah is charged with the unlawful killing of Gary Simon on December 17, 2004, when the latter, his reputed wife, Annette Samaroo and a friend called ‘Rama’, were sitting at the Red Rose Bar, Nigg Settlement, Corentyne.
The injured man was rushed to the Port Mourant Hospital, prior of being referred to New Amsterdam Hospital where he succumbed the following day.
A post mortem, performed by Dr. Vivikanand Brijmohan, said the death was due to shock and haemorrhage and incised wounds.
Azimullullah was, initially, jointly charged with Garsham Jaggassar and Devendra Harrichand but the latter two had the charge against them discharged, following two preliminary inquiries and a trial at the Berbice Assizes.
At at the first PI in the lower court, the presiding magistrate had committed the trio to stand trial for the lesser count of manslaughter. Consequently they were put on bail.
But, after the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), subsequently, ordered that the men be committed to stand trial for the capital offence, Azimulullah went into hiding while his co- accused were captured.
He had been on the run until June 2, 2012, when he was apprehended along with others following a robbery attack on a couple at Cumberland, East Canje, in Berbice, too, since then he has been on remand in prison.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 21 June 2012 20:07|
- Damage to property offender asks for 21 days but gets six months
- Man remanded over West Coast phone cards robbery with violence
- Chief Justice grants bail totalling $1.9M to 12 petitioners
- Phone snatcher fined $50,000
- Man charged with inciting Benschop to commit murder granted bail
- Around the Courts… Frequent flyer jailed, fined for cocaine
- Accused Corentyne wife strangler makes court appearance
- Police Sergeant Vishnu Hunt, ...
- Grievous bodily harm defendant remanded
- Man jailed & fined for trafficking marijuana
- Phagwah Day 2012 murder accused committed
- THE trial of murder accused Noel Adonis...
- Two murder cases called on first day of June Criminal Session
- Man gets four years for robbery and fleeing lawful custody
- Break and enter accused held with booty by police
- Lyng Street man accused of gold chain robbery in neighbourhood - VC says compelled to accept compensation
- Man remanded over 9mm ammo and cocaine in a box
- Duo found with woman’s $300,000 gold chain after High Street snatch
- Court told… Electronic store sales manager caught on camera taking iPod - granted $100,000 bail
- Man busted with marijuana at Ogle Airport remanded