Tuesday, 18 June 2013
To ensure higher level of service… $158.4M Polic... » COMMANDER-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, President ...
FAO recognises Guyana for meeting anti-hunger targ... » GUYANA is among 18 countries recognised at a speci...
State-of-the-art forensic lab to open soon - Rohee... » CONTRACTORS have requested one more week to finish...
Pomeroon farmers to export coconut water to Trinid... » COUNCILLOR of the Region 2 Regional Democratic Cou...
‘Terrorist’ Colin Jones convicted of Health M... » COLIN Jones, charged with the 2009 burning of the ...
Alleged woman beating… No place for rogue cops i... » THE Ministry of Home Affairs said, yesterday, that...
President Ramotar urges emulation of Enmore Martyr... » PRESIDENT Donald Ramotar yesterday called upon tho...
|Ann’s Grove woman perishes after car plunges into Hope Canal|
|Written by Shirley Thomas|
|Wednesday, 23 May 2012 00:42|
TRAGEDY struck Hope Estate, East Coast Demerara, yesterday afternoon when a 31-year-old mother of two who was learning to drive a vehicle lost control of that vehicle she was in, ended up in the Hope Canal shortly after 15:00hrs, and was subsequently pronounced dead on arrival at the Georgetown Public Hospital.
Hairdresser/Cosmetologist Shonette Williams had owned a hairdressing salon and boutique at Ann’s Grove, East Coast Demerara.
Williams was said to have been driving under the guidance of her reputed husband, a licensed motor vehicle driver.
This newspaper has learnt that the woman was wearing her seat belt, and was trapped in the vehicle after it had plunged into the canal.
The reputed husband managed to free himself from the vehicle, and to quickly seek help to save his wife, who was rushed to the GPHC, where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
She is survived by her two children, aged three and nine; her parents, who live abroad; and her siblings and other family members.
The motor car was salvaged and taken to the Cove and John Police Station, where her reputed husband has been detained and is assisting police with their investigations.
More Top Stories
- To ensure higher level of service… $158.4M Police Training Centre commissioned - President chides GPF for not practising effective policing
- FAO recognises Guyana for meeting anti-hunger targets - three years in advance
- State-of-the-art forensic lab to open soon - Rohee says highly qualified staff already selected, expensive scientific equipment already here
- PPP accuses AFC, APNU of supporting criminals
- Pomeroon farmers to export coconut water to Trinidad soon – according to RDC councillor Da Silva
- Former Mayor of Anna Regina dies
- ‘Terrorist’ Colin Jones convicted of Health Ministry 2009 arson
- Alleged woman beating… No place for rogue cops in GPF - declares Home Affairs Ministry
- President Ramotar urges emulation of Enmore Martyrs
- Woman perishes in Plaisance fire, two homes flattened
- First Lady treats New Amsterdam prisoners to sumptuous lunch
- Guyana’s economy growing exceptionally well- Global Competitiveness Report
- COP shot during firearm issuance at Eve Leary - Intestines damaged, mother vows “end of police work”
- Dr. Vindhya Vasini Persaud unanimously elected new Dharmic Sabha’s President
- Relatives rule out robbery as… : Bandits target former footballer’s North Ruimveldt home : --shoot father in head, wife in abdomen
- First Lady encourages absentee fathers to mend their ways : --and embrace fatherhood
- Gunmen attempt to take Albouystown man out, but fail : --Relatives have a suspect in mind
- Enmore Martyrs’ Day … : PPP: A time of deep reflection : --on the legacy of the ‘Intrepid 5’
- Courtney Gibson remembered amidst moving tributes : --as disciplined, well-rounded
- North Sophia tragedy… : Full military rites for fallen cop tomorrow in Essequibo