Monday, 20 May 2013
Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion ... » THE Forensic Laboratory currently under constructi...
GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-D... » The Guyana Power and Light (GPL) will be placed in...
No flexibility with importation of banned, restric... » MINISTER of Agriculture, Dr. Leslie Ramsammy has s...
The dramatically changing Georgetown skyline » In recent years, the skyline of Georgetown has tak...
Ramjattan a no-show for anti-money laundering meet... » ATTORNEY-General and Minister of Legal Affairs, An...
GECOM successfully concludes extended registration » THE Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) yesterday ...
|Unfortunate girlfriend called as witness also jailed|
|Wednesday, 02 May 2012 20:56|
ORSON Cumberbatch (no address given) was sentenced to six weeks imprisonment yesterday, for beating his son with a piece of metal pipe and broadsiding his pregnant daughter-in-law with a cutlass.
He was also fined $15,000 with the alternative of another two weeks in prison for calling a woman Inspector, at the East La Penitence Police Station, a jackass.
The defendant pleaded guilty to all the charges before Magistrate Hazel Octive-Hamilton.
Particulars of the offences said he unlawfully assaulted Anthony Kissoon and Marlene Burnette to cause them actual bodily harm on April 28 and behaved in a disorderly manner, on April 29,Â at the East la Penitence Police Station.
Police Corporal Simone Payne, prosecuting, said, on April 28, Cumberbatch told his son that Burnette does not do any chores in the home and became annoyed because Kissoon ignored him.
The prosecutor said Cumberbatch picked up the piece of metal and lashed his son about the body causing him injuries and, when the injured manâ€™s reputed wife intervened, her father-in-law broadsided her with the cutlass.
Following a report, Cumberbatch was arrested but, at the station, when the inspector cautioned him about his behaviour, he called her a jackass, the prosecutor said.
The defendant told the court he was sorry for his conduct and sought the forgiveness of his son and daughter-in-law, although he claimed that his son cuffed him first and he retaliated.
Cumberbatch said his girlfriend was present and knows exactly what happened and he was given the opportunity to call her.
However, unfortunately for the woman, Yolanda Henry, when she entered the courtroom, the magistrate remembered that an arrest warrant had been issued for her in connection with an illegal drug charge and instructed the court orderly to arrest and take her to the lock-ups.
Magistrate Octive-Hamilton recalled that, in her absence, Henry was sentenced to six weeks imprisonment for possession of a narcotic.
- Court toldâ€¦ Prisoner admits robbing woman
- Man jailed for robbing overseas-based Guyanese visitor
- Minibus driver placed on bail for assaulting â€˜pestâ€™.
- Neighbours at odds over fencing
- Wife favours counselling to resolve domestic dispute
- Mother and son at odds over â€˜sweet manâ€™
- Misbehaving child-father fined for annoying child-mother
- Alleged coconut thief granted $90,000 bail
- Sophia man accused of assaulting cop faces two other charges
- Man threatens to kill sibling over dog urine
- Irate husband assaults wife after accusing her of infidelity
- Alleged household thief granted $100,000 bail
- Man assaults woman â€˜for nothingâ€™
- â€˜Turkeyâ€™ charged with possession of narcotics
- Enmore housewife faces two charges
- Angry son placed on $30,000 bail for damaging motherâ€™s water tank
- In wounding caseâ€¦Man accepts $800,000 compensation for damaged jaws
- Remanded prisoner robbed same man twice - Prosecutor
- Road rage wounding accused on $150,000 bail
- Husband bonded for threatening wife, her aunt